CITI Human Subjects Protections (HSP) Training Instructions
UW-Madison, UW Health, and Madison VA personnel listed on human subjects research studies must have current HSP training taken via CITI using their UW NetID. See this link for further details regarding HSP training including guidance for external personnel. If you have questions about your NetID (including how to obtain one), contact your program manager/regulatory specialist. VA Personnel should refer to the instructions provided to them, or can contact Judith.Aughey@va.gov for assistance.
Completion Instructions for First Time Users
The following instructions are meant for those accessing CITI for the first time. Information regarding refresher training can be found here.
- Log in to the CITI program via the UW CITI portal using your NetID and password.
- Click on the “Add a Course” link under the “University of Wisconsin Madison Courses” menu. Complete question 2 using the guidance provided within the question, and click submit at the bottom of the page.
- Once you have the relevant courses in your account, click on the course title (either “UW Biomedical Course” or “UW Social & Behavioral Course”) to begin the course and follow the instructions within CITI to complete your training. On average, it takes two hours to complete a basic course. If needed, courses can be completed in multiple sessions.
- Successful completion requires a composite score of 85% on the quizzes. Quizzes can be repeated in order to achieve this score.
- Course completions will load into ARROW and the Research Certification Lookup shortly after the next regularly scheduled database update. The database updates at 12:00 am, 6:00 am, 12:00 pm, and 6:00 pm CT seven days a week.
There are training courses in CITI for researchers looking to supplement their basic Human Subjects Protections Training. These courses contain modules not found in the basic course that are focused on the course topic. You can add supplemental courses to your account as appropriate for your type of research or training needs. Supplemental Training courses are added via question 5 on the “Add a Course” page.
If you are UW-Madison, UW Health, or Madison VA personnel who has completed CITI training without your current UW Madison NetID, had a NetID change, or completed training at another institution, please visit this page for information on how to have that training linked with your current NetID account.
If you experience any difficulty, please contact the Office of Research Compliance at email@example.com or 608-262-1703. Support is provided Monday – Friday during normal business hours.