WARF Named Professorships
APPLICATIONS DUE: February 7, 2020
To apply: https://vcrge-uwmadison.smapply.io
ELIGIBILITY: Unrestricted; Senior faculty
AWARD AMOUNT: a $100,000 research award (may be spent over five years)
ABOUT THE AWARD
This program provides recognition for distinguished research contributions of the UW–Madison faculty. The awards are intended to honor those faculty who have made major contributions to the advancement of knowledge, primarily through their research endeavors, but also as a result of their teaching and service activities. This award cannot be awarded more than one time to any faculty member.
The WARF Named Professorship awards are made possible by the impressive research efforts of UW–Madison faculty and staff. Technology arising from these research efforts is licensed by our patent management organization, the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation (WARF), to industry. Income from successful licenses is returned to the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education to fund a variety of research activities throughout the divisions on campus, including these awards.
A department, a Ph.D. major program unit, or a formally constituted interdepartmental group of six or more faculty members may nominate one faculty member for a Named Professorship award. A period of time between named awards is suggested (rather than applying for a WARF Named Professorship just after completing a Kellett award). Please feel free to consult your division’s Associate Vice Chancellor (262-1044) with any questions about eligibility or the content of a nomination.
Nomination materials must be submitted electronically online. Re-nominations should be updated and submitted as new nominations. Each nomination should include:
- A completed nomination form. The brief on-line form will ask for the candidate’s/nominee’s name and the nominator’s name. A second nominator is optional.
- A department or program letter of nomination (uploaded as one PDF document). A nomination should include a cover letter (no more than 10,000 characters) from the nominator which explains the departmental process for selecting the nominee and highlights the major features of his/her work. The primary criteria are the quality, significance, and productivity of the nominee’s research, but the Committee also values indications of the quality and programmatic value of the nominee’s teaching and service.
- The candidate’s current CV / bibliography (uploaded as one PDF document).
- Up to five letters of recommendation (uploaded as separate PDF documents). The letters should indicate how the author knows the candidate and should be from someone at “arm’s length.”
- Up to three sample publications (uploaded as separate PDF documents). PDFs of sample publications may be submitted or if publications are viewable online, a listing of where to find electronic versions may be included.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:
Who prepares and submits the application online?
It can be the nominee, nominator, administrative staff or a combination. (They must have a UW-Madison NET ID.) You are allowed to add collaborators to an application. However, the same person must open and submit the application.
When will applicants be notified? When will awards begin?
The evaluation will be completed in April 2020. Awards will begin July 1, 2020.
Does receiving a WARF Named Professor award affect a Vilas Associates award?
No. You can receive both – they are separate programs.
How is the tenure date pinpointed in determining eligibility for this award?
It is when the faculty member’s tenured status becomes effective, such as with a change reflected on their payroll account. (It is not the date of the tenure committee’s vote.)
If you experience any technical problems or have general questions concerning your submission, please email (firstname.lastname@example.org).