Deadline to apply: Ongoing open submission.
The OVCRGE provides subventions for the publication of peer-reviewed through-written scholarly monographs. This program is open to tenure-track faculty of any rank. The program does not support translations, anthologies or page fees for articles.
The aims of the subvention program are as follows:
- To lower the list price of books by UW faculty thereby facilitating increased dissemination of their work;
- To further support the ecosystem of scholarly publishing in the humanities and qualitative social sciences;
- To provide additional levels of support for open-access monograph publishing; and
- To provide additional levels of support for heavily illustrated monographs.
Subventions go directly to publishers to offset the costs of book production. Faculty seeking support for costs incurred in the preparation of manuscripts, such as acquiring permissions to publish images, should use start-up or retention funds or may apply to the Fall Competition.
How to apply
Application should be made to Lea Jacobs, Associate Vice Chancellor for Arts and Humanities, in pdf format after the peer-review process has been successfully completed and the publisher has committed to the project. Application can be made at any time. The application should include:
- A letter of request from the author including the title and description of the book, the number of words of the manuscript, the number and type of illustrations (black and white or color), the expected date of publication, and the amount requested;
- The author’s CV;
- If applicable, documentation of any other internal or external grants that have been applied for to support publication;
- A letter from the publisher that documents the commitment to the project and the successful completion of the peer-review process, with a budget and justification.
Administrative and Financial Guidelines
The following conditions are attached to the award of subvention support and must be accepted by the recipient:
- Support awarded to an author will be paid directly to the publisher by the Department (see below). The publisher will be required to provide written assurance that the funds will be returned to the university in the eventuality that the book is not published for any reason.
- The faculty member will be solely responsible for any and all tax consequences that may result from the payment of the publication subvention support to the publisher.
- The faculty member must agree to acknowledge publication subvention support in the preface, introduction, or acknowledgement of the book with the following: “Support for this research was provided by the University of Wisconsin–Madison Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education with funding from the Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation.”
- The publisher must agree to provide one copy of the book to the VCRGE at no cost to the author or to UW–Madison.
- UPDATE- Image rights purchasing policy:
- You may use the P-card to purchase images if, at the time of purchase, you intend the images to be used for teaching or research purposes-even if permission to publish is effectively bundled with the cost of acquiring the images by the vendor. When reconciling the P-card transaction- please use Account Code 3101 (Supplies-Office).
Faculty researchers who want to reserve the right to publish images (e.g. at the time of purchase it is known the image will be used in a publishing project) should still follow the existing policy: collect the proper tax documentation from the vendor and process payment via a Direct Payment form.
For each type of purchase, bundled image purchases from a single vendor may be processed in one transaction to streamline the payment process.
See Business Services website for the complete policy: Royalties (Definition, Payment Processing, and Tax Reporting)..
Since the process of academic publishing is a non-competitive bid process, and if the dollar amount is over $5,000, it is necessary to complete The Purchases for Services Justification Form and the Contract Details Form. Please visit Business Services website to help answer any questions. Instructions are also provided in our Policies and Procedures (PPP 30 and PPP 33). The Contract Details Form will be e-mailed to the OVCRGE’s office (similar to Encumbrance Management Forms). Deans’ offices will then e-mail the Contract Details Form to firstname.lastname@example.org. This will help expedite the procurement as well as eliminate the need for departments to determine which category a service falls into (e.g., ASSA, request for bid, request for proposal, etc.).