Chancellor Rebecca Blank Appoints Marsha Mailick to Lead UW–Madison Research and Graduate Education
Marsha Mailick, the former long-time director of the University of Wisconsin–Madison's Waisman Center, has been named by Chancellor Rebecca Blank as the university's first vice chancellor for research and graduate education.
Mailick, an expert on autism and other developmental disabilities, joined the UW–Madison faculty in 1988 and directed the Waisman Center for 13 years, beginning in 2001. Since September, she has served as interim vice chancellor for research and graduate education, a role created in May of last year when the faculty senate approved a broad reorganization of the university's programs of research and graduate education.
"Marsha Mailick is a tried and tested leader, and her knowledge of the complexities and nuances of our research and graduate education landscape promises to serve our institution very well," says Blank. "We have a lot of challenges in front of us. Nationally and internationally, the research and graduate education environment is changing in dramatic ways, and we need inspired and creative leadership to ensure that UW–Madison remains one of the world's great research universities. I am confident we are going to get that and more from Marsha."
UW–Madison has ranked fourth or higher nationally in research expenditures for each of the last 10 years rankings data is available.
National Science Foundation Research and Development Expenditure Survey (2003–12)
- New developments in Midwestern canine influenza outbreak April 17, 2015
- Patent office director offers views on intellectual property, diversity April 16, 2015
- Carl Gulbrandsen to retire from WARF in 2016 April 16, 2015
- New materials repel oil underwater, could better clean up oil spills April 15, 2015
- Patent office director visits for discussion about innovation and opportunity April 14, 2015
- Tests show Midwestern canine flu outbreak stems from new strain April 13, 2015
- High-power laser spinoff proves versatility is strength April 13, 2015
- Solution-grown nanowires make the best lasers April 13, 2015