Ono Pharma Breakthrough Science Initiative Awards Program 2020
|Chairs and Administrators; Departments in the Biological Sciences; Associate Deans for Research; College/School Research Administrators
|Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research & Graduate Education
|December 05, 2019
|Ono Pharma Breakthrough Science Initiative Awards Program
|Deadline for Internal Review:
|January 08, 2020
Ono Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (“Ono”) is a leading global healthcare company committed to delivering new, innovative pharmaceutical products to patients and championing the fight against disease and pain. Ono Pharmaceutical carries out these goals in cooperation with researchers, patients, their families, and healthcare providers.
The Ono Pharma Foundation was established to support academic research in relevant scientific fields, which have the potential of making significant impact on therapeutic approaches to disease and pain management. The Foundation’s competitive awards program, the Ono Pharma Breakthrough Science Initiative Awards Program (“Ono Initiative”), is the embodiment of the Foundation’s commitment to focus on and accelerate researcher-driven open innovation by supporting high-risk and high-reward science research projects which have potential to lead to science discoveries/solutions and, possibly, based on further research, to breakthrough treatments for patients.
The purpose of the Ono Initiative is to support scientist Principal Investigators (“PIs”) with creative ideas in selected scientific research fields with the mission of seeking discoveries/solutions and development of high impact science. The goals of the Ono Initiative are to:
- Identify and help develop innovative research proposals and results that could lead to the development of breakthrough treatment solutions for patients.
- Support academic research and the career development of promising young and established scientists.
- Build strong relationships within the community in order to lead to transformative research aligned with Ono Initiative’s interest.
The Ono Pharma Foundation will only consider proposals for scientific research projects addressing the following field of science:
• Chemical Biology Research
Target research of Chemical Biology is not specified. Chemical Biology is defined as research
that deals with the interface between chemistry and biology. The criteria for this field are
deliberately broad so as not to disqualify potentially innovative and groundbreaking
Amount per Award: $900,000 for the three year research project.
Duration of Award: Up to 3 years
Number of Awards: 5
To be eligible, the PI must fit the following criteria
- PIs applying must be working at one of the nominating institutions.
- The PI must have an MD and/or a PhD degree.
- The PI must be a young and/or mid-career scientist (15 years or below of experience from starting independent academic position).
- The PI may not already be engaged in other sponsored research with Ono Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. and/or grant program with Ono Pharma Foundation.
- The PI may not apply for funding to amplify current work. However, PIs may research a new idea based on a prior finding of the PI.
UW-Madison may nominate 2 applicants in Chemical Biology Research.
Internal Competition Application Instructions
Applications for Internal Review
To submit your application, attach a single PDF to an email to: email@example.com
Please include the following:
- Cover Page including: Name and academic title of PI, contact information, and title of program project
- Vision of the Proposed Research (1 page)
- CV – NIH Biosketch format-disclose all grants or awards currently received or pending which would be relevant to the Proposed Research.
Letters of Intent are due to Ono Pharma Foundation by February 20, 2020. Applications are due to Ono Pharma Foundation by May 14, 2020.