Research Knowledge Base
Cross-Campus Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) Committee Charter
This document describes the roles and responsibilities of the UW-Madison Cross-Campus Human Research Protection Program Committee (Committee). The primary function of the Committee is to provide advice and consultation to the Institutional Official (currently the Associate Vice Chancellor for Research Policy and Compliance).
- The Committee is responsible for:
- Advising the Institutional Official (IO) on issues relating to human research protection.
- Ensuring consistency between IRB policies and state and federal regulations and guidance, University policy, and accreditation standards.
- Review of all current and proposed campus-wide policies for the HRPP and advise the IO on these policies. All HRPP policies should be reviewed by the committee every 3 years to determine if they should be reaffirmed, revised, or removed.
- Facilitating communications and exchange of information about human research protection across the HRPP, especially among the IRBs, the HRPP, the UW-Madison’s research community, and the UW-Madison community as a whole.
- Facilitating access by researchers to cross-disciplinary information and training about human research protection through the UW-Madison Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Graduate Education.
- Advising the Institutional Official (IO) regarding the suspension of human research privileges and reporting to federal authorities in matters involving noncompliance, unanticipated problems, and suspension and termination of research.
- The Chancellor of the UW-Madison appoints all Committee members.
- Core Members include:
- Chair of the Education and Social/Behavioral Science IRB
- Chair of the Health Sciences IRB
- Chair of the Health Sciences Minimal Risk IRB
- Faculty and academic research staff members
- Ex-officio members, non-voting, include:
- The IO
- Director of the Office of Research Compliance
- Representative of the UW-Madison’s Office of Legal Affairs
- IRB Office Directors
- Consultants may be invited to attend when policies affect their areas (ex. Conflict of Interest Committee or Research and Sponsored Program Representatives)
- Committee Operations
- The Committee uses Roberts’ Rules of Order to conduct its business.
- All votes by the Committee are advisory to the IO.
- The Committee keeps minutes for each of its meetings.
- The Committee applies the UW-Madison IRB Member Conflict of Interest Policy to Committee members and consultants.
- The Office of Research Compliance provides staff support for the Committee in fulfilling its responsibilities
Adoption Date: September 7, 2006
Revised: June 7, 2007
Revised: September 13, 2007
Revised: December 4, 2008
Adopted by: Associate Vice Chancellor for Research Policy
Adoption Date: September 1, 2014
Revision Date: September 29, 2015
Revision Date: August 23, 2017
Adopted by: Associate Vice Chancellor for Research Policy and Compliance
Keywords: responsibility HRPP Advisory Committee charter