Cross-Campus Human Research Protection Program (HRPP) Committee Charter
This document describes the roles and responsibilities of the UW-Madison Cross-Campus Human Research Protection Program Committee (Committee).
- The Committee is responsible for:
- Advising the HRPP, including IRBs, on issues relating to human research protection.
- Assisting the Institutional Official with oversight of the Human Research Protection Program (HRPP), including the UW-Madison Institutional Review Boards (IRBs).
- Ensuring consistency among all locally developed IRB policies with respect to interpretation of state and federal laws and guidance, University policy, and accreditation standards.
- Review and approval of all campus-wide policies for the HRPP.
- Facilitating communications and exchange of information about human research protection across the HRPP, especially the IRBs, between the HRPPs and the UW-Madison’s research community and the UW-Madison community as a whole.
- Communicating directly or through the UW-Madison HRPPs with University officials, faculty, and staff, as necessary, about regulatory requirements governing human research protection and interpretations of those requirements.
- Facilitating access by researchers to cross-disciplinary information and training about human research protection through the UW-Madison Graduate School.
- Advising the Institutional Official (IO) regarding the suspension of human research privileges and reporting to federal authorities in matters involving noncompliance, unanticipated problems and suspension and termination of research.
- The Chancellor of the UW-Madison appoints all Committee members.
- Core Members include:
- The UW-Madison Institutional Official, who serves as Chair of the Committee
- The Deputy Institutional Officials
- HRPP Directors/IRB Office Directors
- Office of Research Compliance Representative
- College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Representative
- School of Education Associate Dean
- The chair of each of the UW-Madison IRBs
- Alternates may be appointed by the Chancellor upon recommendation of the Deputy Institutional Officials
- Other members at large selected by the Chancellor for a 1 year term
- Ex-officio members, non-voting, include:
- Representative of the UW-Madison’s Office of Legal Affairs.
- The primary administrators from each of the UW-Madison IRBs.
- Office of Research Compliance Director
- Other ex-officio members at large selected by the Chancellor for a 1 year term
- Consultants may be invited to attend when policies affect their areas (ex. Conflict of Interest Committee or Research and Sponsored Program Representatives)
- Committee Operations
- The Committee meets quarterly or more frequently as needed at the call of its chairperson.
- The Committee uses Roberts’ Rules of Order to conduct its business.
- Committee business is not initiated without a quorum, which is more than half of the core members.
- The Committee keeps minutes for each of its meetings.
- The Committee applies the UW-Madison IRB Member Conflict of Interest Policy to Committee members and consultants.
- The Office of Research Compliance provides staff support for the Committee in fulfilling its responsibilities
Adopted by: Human Research Protection Program Committee
Adoption Date: September 7, 2006
Revised: June 7, 2007
Revised: September 13, 2007
Revised: December 4, 2008
Adopted by: Associate Vice Chancellor for Research Policy
Adoption Date: September 1, 2014
Revision Date: September 29, 2015
Keywords: responsibility HRPP Advisory Committee charter