Ono Pharma Breakthrough Science Initiative Awards Program 2019
|To:||Chairs and Administrators; Departments in the Biological Sciences; Associate Deans for Research; College/School Research Administrators|
|From:||Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research & Graduate Education|
|Date:||December 06, 2018|
|Subject:||Ono Pharma Breakthrough Science Initiative Awards Program|
|Deadline for Internal Review:||January 03, 2019|
Ono Pharmaceutical Co., Ltd. (“Ono”) is a leading global healthcare company committed to delivering new, innovative pharmaceutical products to patients and championing the fight against disease and pain. Ono carries out these goals in cooperation with researchers, patients, their families, and healthcare providers.
The Ono Pharma Breakthrough Science Initiative Awards Program (“Ono Initiative”), is a competitive awards program administered by the independent Ono Pharma Foundation (“Ono Pharma Foundation”) for Ono. The Ono Initiative is the embodiment of Ono’s commitment to focus on and accelerate researcher-driven open innovation by supporting high-risk and high-reward science research projects which have potential to lead to science discoveries/solutions and, possibly, based on further research, to breakthrough treatments for patients.
The purpose of Ono in creating the Ono Initiative is to support scientist Principal Investigators (“PIs”) with creative ideas in selected scientific research fields with the mission of seeking discoveries/solutions and development of high impact science. The goals of the Ono Initiative are to:
- Identify and help develop innovative research proposals and results that could lead to the development of breakthrough treatment solutions for patients.
- Support academic research and the career development of promising young and established scientists.
- Build strong relationships within potential partner institutions to identify early research projects aligned within the strategic areas of interest of Ono.
The scientific Research Areas of Interest for 2019 are:
- Chemical Biology
- Oligonucleotide Medicine
Amount per Award: $900,000 for the three year research project.
Duration of Award: Up to 3 years
Number of Awards: 5
To be eligible, the PI must fit the following criteria
- Each PI applying chemical biology area must be working in one of the Nominating Institutions.
- The PI must have an MD and/or a PhD degree.
- The PI may not already be engaged in other Ono sponsored research.
- The PI may not apply for funding to amplify current work. However, PIs are eligible to research a new idea based on previously competed work.
UW-Madison may nominate 2 applicants in Chemical Biology Research. There is no limitation on the number of nominated applicants in Oligonucleotide Medicine Research.
Internal Competition Application Instructions
Applications for Internal Review
To submit your application, follow this link: https://inic-uwmadison.fluidreview.com/
Please include the following:
- Cover Page
- Vision of the Proposed Research (1 page)
- CV – NIH Biosketch format-disclose all grants or awards currently received or pending which would be relevant to the Proposed Research.
Letters of Intent are due to Ono Pharma Foundation by February 28, 2019. Applications are due to Ono Pharma Foundation by May 23, 2019.